Saturday, April 12, 2014

...farewell


Today… no, actually, yesterday, was my last day on my (last) office. 

camera/producer/editor: theodoruzs yahya :D

I was doing clearance. Farewell, little bit speech, said thanks and sorry… copied several work I’ve done, hugging and listened for some advices. And it was great. I mean, I don’t know, but it just feel very good. My boss, he gave us, me and Mas Patrick (our promo web designer, we’re off on same day), a great farewell and generous speech. All of my friend on our department, they did the same thing too. Even, some of our best team-mate, Mas Ucup and Al, they can't join us (Mas Ucup’s son, Abirama is sick, may Abi get well soon. Al, the soon to be groom, is sick too). Or Mas Fahmi, Mas Klos, Mas Topik, the best intern ever Atet Lukendra, and our head-dept Mbak Dina couldn’t come to had dinner together, they had deadline to be done.
But, it just perfect to be there. I think I’m leaving in a good time. Hhhi.
Sad, yes, it was. It was like,  I won’t shutting-down the computer and I want to sat there forever. I want to stay there little longer… hhhi. I hate to leave something I love. But I have to. I know.

And, talk about work. Two days ago, I wrote some, I don’t know what it was. Sort of thing, about, how I feel so proud, blah, about being a copywriter on metro tv promo dept, I guess. Yah, kind a like that. here they are:


Is there any amazing thing about my work? Yes, it is. It was amazing. Especially, it goes to these two things: election and Jokowi.
When I started my first day at work, about 23 months ago, my boss took me to a meeting.  It was Ramadan meeting, Ramadan 2012. Me, my boss, our senior copywriter Om Ef, and Mas Firdaus, a new promo producer too. Talk about theme and image. And I just kept my mouth closed. I didn’t know what to say. But, they asked about my opinion. Showed me some references, Om Ef talked about some films he ever watched too. He’s so great, as so you know. Om Ef talks fast, he could make a voice like the way Don Corleone talks, he asked me did I ever watched Star Wars, and I said not yet. Mas Daus shows us some dramatic TVC from Thailand, I've watched it before. After they asked me, I talked. Fast and stammering, I was so nervous. I didn’t even know what I just said. I talked about the way Djarum did with their TVC, the one about a family when prepared to go somewhere; when the wife fussed a lot to her mother-in law who moved so slow; and in the end of its 30 seconds ads, they realized how human their mother-in-law on her age. It’s like a slap. Told us, how we always want people do like the way we're doing something, but we closed our eyes to see that maybe others just didn't have something like we have. Energy, time, and even chance. A slap, we need a slap. A slapped TVC.
But, made a Ramadan and Idulfitri image is not that easy. Made a slapping tvc is not that easy. Here, in Indonesia, maybe we could count on to agency who hold Djarum account. I don’t know what it is, Dentsu, I guess. But, when you asked me, I could choose Malaysia’s Petronas ads to be one of the good Ramadan or Idulfitri ads that slapped me softly. It was Yasmin Ahmad, creative director from Leo Burnett KL, who opened my eyes about that beautiful creation. Genius yet stay humble. It feels like home. Capturing people with no pretentions. The copy still stay simple, but they make it rich. In my mind, I want to make something like that. Hhhe… and then, as my first project, I made a copy for our Ramadan and Idulfitri image, at that time. I don’t remember what I wrote. Something about being nice to others, I think. To remember God, family, and yah, something like that. It was a series and I don’t really remember that ads.
But yes, what I just remember this time is this, that I came and go with these two things: election and Jokowi.
When I came, it was on June. Jakarta just prepared to held governor election. I was moved from Solo… and yah, Jokowi moved from Solo too and declared that he ready to run on Jakarta’s election. Oh, just a good path, I guessed. But I didn’t really care about what he did. I think I’m a little bit anti-politic. And, yah, the good thing is… when I had to join to made an image tvc about Jakarta election. 
I didn’t write the copy. But it was my first big-shooting. The concept just so great, I remember. One of the best concepts I ever know, as I worked here. It was about “Jakarta Bukan Kota Mainan – Pilih yang Paling Tepat untuk Memimpin Jakarta”. I just love the big idea, Jakarta Bukan Kota Mainan. The insight was simple, as we know, that Jakarta is like little Indonesia, so Jakarta is not a toy, Jakarta has a lot of problems to be solved soon! 30% of our country problems maybe just played on Jakarta. Corruption, bad transportation, employment, poverty, and so on… Then we realized that big idea to a video-audio art based. Hhha, fak! What I just write, art based? Hhhi. Oke, forget it. Oke, back then, our producer-director, Bang Aso, he made this little town made from lego. Streets, buildings, factories, gas station, houses, and a railway too. At the first, the town was running well. A kid’s fingers played it good. He build this and those, here and there. But then we know, there was a lot of cars on traffic light, policeman just went crazy, siren sounds made more madness, and in the end come this flood… swallowed the town. At the end page, five kids portrayed with the image of five governor candidates for Jakarta. It was sooo, good.
It was two years ago. And Jokowi won the race. He made it to be Jakarta’s governor. And now, just about a month ago, he declared to run another race, the biggest race: presidential race.
And I still anti-politic. But, since I was part of this news-station, I had to know all the things about these political things. Oh, of course I know, there a big TV on my back, rolling news all the time. Hohoooo… but, one thing I should tell you, I was so happy to be a part of this thing. Made an image to election day. Searched a name for a mascot. Made a big plan to gain people attentions. Made a copy and storyline for a 15, 30, or 60 seconds tvc or print-ad page, even I know most people didn’t notice. Made a loooong script for some presentations, image, company, programs, or marketing. How to make it shorter, less than 3 minutes. Have a long talk and joke with the producers and art-designer. How to make this looks like that, how to make that with this material, or how to deal with the budget. Which one should more stand-out, the copy or the picture, or the acting, or the expression… or how to combine it.  And above all: I know, people never really noticed ads.
But… who cares?
I remember Nat Whitten. You can get him, here… clickclick . He made the campaign for The New York Times website, as here... clickclick nytimesexperience. In this free get-and-use world of internet, New York Times asked people to subscribe. How come? But he made it great. Soft and elegant. With his “The New York Times - Subscribe to the Experience” campaign. I love the campaign… the big idea to feels and get the experiences, and the ads itself. And I love the copy…  of course. But, the great thing about him, is: that, in his youth age, he was an editor in chief of a campus magazine. But, his life path leads him to be a copywriter. When he got nytimes account, he feels like got his youth dream. Work for a news-company. And his work was gaining good responses: a lot of subscriber to nytimes.com; and he got some public compliment. Oh, how great, isn’t it? I want to be like him. Ameen! Maybe that kind of thing that I feel… I used to dreaming and die about to be a journalist, before I know, I love this thing to be a copywriter. And it was just feels so good, when i started my long-and-winding journey to be here, a tv station. It was like a good starting point… a bridge… to took me to another step and level. I, still, want to be a copywriter, someday. Yah… something like that… I don’t know. Sometimes, I change my mind.
And election, this election, this could be my last piece of work here. This, is, little bit sentimental. I just watched our live event - 48 hours non-stop, while I scroll down my twitter timeline… and people talked about it. People said it just going good. I wrote some twit about it too… rare thing, tweeting for Metro TV. Hhha, even I made some of promotional tweet, I rarely made it on my own twitter account. But not for this night. I just, I don’t know, maybe I just feel proud to be the part, of this thing. I know, our images couldn't have any space to appears, because there are a lot of spaces for advertisement. But, you know, I just feel good to say goodbye. This is a good time.
I remember, it’s about one and a half year ago, when I started to join election meeting. It’s a long journey. Even I couldn’t make it till the presidential race, I think I get the point. Even it’s not perfect. Even our work is countless… I mean, production and people on newsroom has rating/share to commited into, but we’re on promotion didn’t have any standard to hold on into. A citra pariwara sounds good, of course. But, after all, reading people tweeting about how good our company did, that’s enough. A biggest feedback a promotion team need. Building awarness and knowledge about our product.
That what I feel this night. Election, and Jokowi, they made my work.
This Friday is my last day. Maybe I’ll continue to write about something tomorrow. But I don’t know what. So… yah, this night is just good.


___
Then,
I know, I just a beginner. There will be a, looong and winding road…. jrengjreng…. awaiting me. May god, may universe, may my parents, may myself, may my future, let me doing something… something not bad. 


Here are the fun:

there are two paintings, two nude paintings, hanging on our slasar... (nggak ngarti bahasa inggrisnya apaan), to our room. here, me and the nude girl.

again, in the other side. me and tante LS, our single-fighter copywriter. yes, i left her. i'm sorry tanteee...gogogo! :*

me and Mas Patrick after finished the clearance thing. we're not an eagle anymore. Mas Pat is going to Arcade Indonesia, so cool!! good luck mas, see you when i see you...thanks for every films and cool stuff!!

our producer Mas Theodor, Mbak Corry, and me... we're hungry!

bang, satenya bang...

Bang Berry Ganteng, Mas Pat, Tante LS, Om Hendro, Mas Klaus, Mas Theodore, Dinan, and Me.

Me and Om Sigit. Kangkung...'___'

there, the bald-headed photobomber, is Kang Kiki, our Promo Manager, who made this very-very great farewell for us. thankss kang... sukses selalu... terimakasih, terimakasih...:))

keep playing, keep going. antirevisi. respect 30 seconds! :))


No comments:

Post a Comment